Thirteen precious little larvae arrived safely, with a little pile of food. They'd been growing steadily already, as evidenced by the cast skins found in the transport container. It's a really cute setup, as far as a ladybug habitat could be - very colorful and very easy to make observations. Every day, the girls will have to pipette some water into the habitat, but other than that, it's just a waiting game to see insects develop.
Speaking of development - after 6 days, our painted lady caterpillars are developing very nicely. At least six (out of seven) are doing great, although some are certainly fatter than others. I hope they go through metamorphosis soon... frankly, I'm a little worried about all that poop (and therefore, mold) that is steadily accumulating... it's hard to see with all the debris plus silks that are being produced...
As the school year winds down (one more day to go!), things are still busy. I spent the morning making candy lollipops for the teacher and teacher's aid. Unlike other parts of the country, this neighborhood appreciates home-made gifts. It was fun to create these sweets, but a little stressful if they didn't turn out perfectly... (I really liked those ladybug lollipops, though!).
It was too cold for the kids to have a "Water Day", so Plan B was to have several stations in the recess yard for the kids to play. I was in charge of the "Potato Sack station" - purely by choice, because I remember how much fun it was to do as a kid. Marika had a blast - she hopped all over the place and even though she never won a race, she had fun! Mika, on the other hand, fell over during the first race, promptly began to bawl, and quit immediately. *sigh*One more day of school!

No comments:
Post a Comment