Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Time to get ready!

In case you didn't already realize, we're a family that's pretty serious about our sports. :) Even though Mika still has soccer practice (they have a 2-weekend tournament coming up soon), it's time to get the girls ready for softball. Mika has softball evaluations in another couple of weekends... it's really not a big deal, but all the girls have to be judged and ranked for their skills, so that the teams can (theoretically) be made as even as possible. I told her, she never knows who the All-Stars coach will be this year, so it's better to make a good first impression right from the very beginning.

Of course I couldn't do anything except snap pictures! DaddyDude worked with both of them at the same time. Marika's gotten a lot better (a lot of her throwing last year was right at my kneecap level, which made me really reluctant to throw with her) but I can see she's frustrated that Mika can throw better, faster and harder. I keep trying to explain the two extra years of experience, growth, and strength, but she just scowls at me and says, "humph!" (that is, by the way, her favorite word).

Mika's got to work back up to things, but she can already throw the ball harder and farther than I can. I feel an immense amount of pleasure and pride in watching her - softball has been the one area of Mika's life where she has definitely excelled. She says she won't cry this year when she gets out - we'll see!

Yesterday was DaddyDude's last day at home with us. Today, he went back to work. He really was such a wonderful caretaker these past few days. He even did 3-4 loads of laundry yesterday, folded it all by himself, and put it away - without a word of complaint or a wayward sigh. Where was I? For the most part, Mika accompanied me out while I went crutching around the neighborhood (2 miles!). It felt really good to get out and exercise. I should be done with the crutches within a few days (they're supposed to be for gait correction - the doctor doesn't want me to acquire a limp, because those can be hard to get rid of, not to mention screwing up the good leg). Things feel pretty good with the brace on (it's always locked at 0-degrees, because they want you to keep extension - if you lose it, they say it's almost impossible to get back) but scary as all heck when it's off. I keep waiting for my knee to break and ruin the new ACL. But, the brace should be off by the end of January and that will be a new terrifying experience as well.

You know what really sucks? I have to wear shorts until the brace is gone. I'm soooo lucky that the weather is nice down here but it gets cold at night during Mika's soccer practices. I can't even go walking early in the morning (with light), because there's no way I'll be able to pull my running tights over my leg. Oh, well... at least we're in good weather country... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment