Last night, I was sorry to realize that my immobilization brace is going to adversely affect my picture-taking. Here, Marika is enjoying a rather unusual seat while waiting for Mika's soccer practice to be over... it'll only be a matter of time before she's too big to get away with doing this...
After Mika's practice, we raced to DaddyDude's co-ed soccer game. It's only been 2 weeks since I last played, but I already miss it. It was nice to be back on the fields, even if I couldn't play. Our team was playing the same team that destroyed my ACL. I couldn't remember what the guy looked like (literally, I'd been playing about 2 minutes before the incident) but was pretty surprised when several people pointed him out - he was a BIG guy (225+ lbs) and probably a few inches taller than DaddyDude (5'8"). I really had no chance against this guy, so it's a matter of contention as to why he had to shove me. Lil' ol' me? He weighs well more than twice what I do! It's depressing to realize that his poor choice of action has resulted in 6 long months of rehab for me... *sigh*
Oh, and why is this post called "adding insult to injury"? I knew there was a risk of being at the soccer game - and being between two games - but I figured the chance of getting hit was pretty small. Well, lucky me! DaddyDude's game was ALMOST over (2 min to the end?) when I got whacked in the back of the neck/head by a soccer ball from the team behind us. It was more of a shock than a painful thing and honestly, if I hadn't gotten bashed by balls and big brothers growing up, I probably would have been pretty irate. It wasn't too bad, but really - I'm used to pain from heading the ball, not from being hit from behind! I still have a headache today but apparently, I'm still alive. :) I am, of course, INCREDIBLY LUCKY that my hurt knee didn't get bashed. But seriously? Out of the 30-40 people standing in the sideline, I'm the only one to get get hit? Sheesh!
But... I still can't feel too sorry for myself. I ran into a captain of one of the womens soccer teams, who asked what had happened to me. She then told me how she had snapped her lower leg bone in half while sliding in the snow up at Big Bear. That imagery just made me cringe... she continued telling me how her rehab took about a year, how she gained a lot of weight during that time, and how although she can run, it's never been the same...
And, this morning (yes, I am back to waking up before the kids are up and walking a few miles), one of my fellow morning exercisers stopped his car when passing to ask what had happened. Then, he tells me that HE has a foot injury now and can't walk for 6 weeks! Yowsers! I felt really bad for him, because his situation is definitely much worse than mine - and because of the job he has, he won't be able to work at all during those 6 weeks.
So, in a nutshell, I feel pretty fortunate. DaddyDude told me from the very beginning, that was I could probably rehab very quickly, since I had the time to. It does take A LOT of time (I feel like it's most of what I do now) but the rehab has got to be done, little by little. My PT person told me yesterday that I was progressing ahead of schedule, that I could get rid of one crutch (Yay! But I had asked to be rid of both! She said maybe Friday), and that I'd probably be able to drive (soon). She also said I might be done with the immobilization brace in another couple of weeks (versus three). I'm not too excited about that last part, because my leg feels so much safer in the brace (when locked). But, hopefully in another couple of weeks, I will have built back some muscle mass. I'm allowed on the exercise bike now to try and increase my range of motion - no, I can't turn the pedals all the way around (especially since she locked my brace at 90-degrees flexion), but it's encouraging. I'll probably be cycling around the neighborhood before I'm allowed to run.
Speaking of lucky... we've been enjoying an incredibly warm bout of weather! When it hit 84-degrees today, I decided to let the girls play with their pool. They admit that they're still cold but I guess it's worth it, because they wouldn't quit!
No comments:
Post a Comment