Monday, January 16, 2012

Freedom and fly balls


We removed my steri-strips on Friday. The scabs still have to come off but things look pretty good! In the past, people with ACL surgery had had huge jagged scars afterwards. The biggest incision was the bottom one (about 1", running horizontally) while the upper two (vertical) are pretty small, less than 1 cm. At my physical therapy appointment today, my PT person was amazed at how small and subtle the incisions were. I'm thrilled! And today... my knee brace was completely unlocked. This means I can start building up my quads again, since my leg is going to have to start working again (I no longer have to walk completely straight-legged). The muscle atrophy after 2 wk was astonishing and shocking.  


We had a very busy holiday weekend! Mika had a soccer tournament and DaddyDude had a baseball tournament. I gave DaddyDude persmission to go play and not worry about missing Mika's games (her team lost both pretty badly, so he didn't miss much), but it was rather difficult to get around (I still had to bring and set up the soccer banner), since the soccer fields were very clumpy (weird grass). Saturday morning, Mika also had her softball evaluations. The girls are all ranked on hitting, throwing, pitching, and fielding (grounders and fly-balls) - using these rankings, the teams are formed as they're as equal as possible. Mika did pretty well (batting is definitely her weak spot) and we had fun saying hello to many old friends.


DaddyDude had a great time playing ball this weekend! We couldn't make it to any of his games until Sunday afternoon. I finally got the shot I'd been wanting for years - unfortunately it's a blurry (my camera's not great) but there's DaddyDude, sliding under a tag at home plate. So cool!

Unfortunately, they ended up in second place but it was a really exciting game (final score: 5-3). I love how all of the guys posed so well (unlike little kids)! DaddyDude got an unexpected surprise when he was awarded the Golden Glove plaque - he had made some really nice saves and outs. We are very proud of him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment