Friday, January 7, 2011

And so the New Year begins!

Hope everybody's 2011 is starting out well so far!

The girls attended their softball clinic this past week (it had been postponed due to rain 2 weeks earlier). There weren't that many little kids - so they got lots of attention and practice.

They had a good time - Mika started sliding on her knees to make catches, can you tell? Daddy Dude went through all the effort of scrubbing to get those stains out - what a great guy!

Mika's soccer team finally had their end-of-the-season party, too. It was fun to see everybody again - we really liked most of the other parents. I say "most" because much to everybody's dismay, out of the 8 girls on the team, 7 did show up. The only one who didn't was the team mom's daughter - and yes, it was the team mom who collected $15 from each family for the coach's gift, etc. Luckily, another parent bought the coach a gift certificate and we pitched in to help pay for it - so at least the coach got SOMETHING. It's pretty depressing to know that this kind of thing happens, you know?

It's been a busy week - one of our soccer buddies is moving back to New York (she's on my left in the picture above). We went out to Elephant Bar on Monday to send her off (they have good desserts there!) and were lucky enough to play with her one final time - though on different teams - last night. We re-vamped our Thursday night team (for the better, we think) and won 3-0 (yours truly scored 2 goals!).

We tried out a new recipe today, called Arugula Pesto. I had picked up a bag of arugula at Fresh & Easy for $0.79 (it was 75% off and wow, it really keeps for a long time!) and picked this recipe. I liked it - it's got a rounder, more mellow taste than basil pesto - but Daddy Dude is still on the fence. I know I'll enjoy eating it for leftovers next week, though! =)

Also, I have a new book recommendation: The Soloist by Steve Lopez. Some of you may have seen the movie, but I always prefer to read the book first. It was a very enjoyable and interesting read (I read it in about a day - but I am a very fast reader) and I look forward to seeing the movie. As a child, I played the piano and went to some competitions and camps where I interacted/observed child prodigies (not me!), so it's especially interesting for me to read these kinds of stories (like the movie Shine with Geoffrey Rush - it was interesting but at the same time, very difficult to watch due to the subject matter). Some of the kids I knew ended up "making it" in music, which I think is pretty neat. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment