Saturday, July 26, 2014

Unity GIU Hop - Get Ready for Fall!



Hi, folks! Thanks for hopping along with the May/June GIU gals today! The fun starts at Dawn's blog so this should be your second stop. If not, please step back to Dawn's so you don't miss a thing!

Miwa ----- you are here!


For this hop, we are showcasing this week's stamp of the week, Pumpkin Greetings.

SOTW Pumpkin Greetings

If you're not already a SOTW member, you really should consider it - I've loved every one that I've received, since I've joined. It's like getting a little surprise in the mail every week! You can read more about the program here. Plus, you can get all previous SOTW kits for only $3.29 each!


Every once in awhile, I like to challenge myself to do something unfamiliar - this week, I chose to watercolor and stamp on vellum.


One of my favorite things about fall are the rich hues of orange. Well, I'll be honest - it's really hard to see it in southern California, but when I lived in western Massachusetts (Amherst) for a few years, I absolutely loved hiking the hills in the autumn. So, the background watercolors reminded me of fall on the east coast.

 Of course I had to use some sketches from Pinterest! This one is from the Deconstructed Sketch (#6). Her sketches really rock and even better, you can download a pdf with 92 sketches on her blog!


Here's my take on her sketch... love the look of stamping on vellum! Both the image and sentiment are heat embossed here.

 This sketch from Sunday Sketch is one of my favorites (I modified it slightly here). It's so versatile!

Who doesn't love pumpkins? I always think of Halloween, so that's why I naturally gravitated towards black and orange. 

Last but not least, I heat embossed white AC Zing! powder on orange vellum, layering it over some old Making Memories paper. I liked how the orange vellum made the white embossing *pop* but it also muted down the busy patterned paper, too.

Next on the hop is Paula! She has an amazing project and card to share - I'm in awe! Thanks for visiting my blog and see you on Friday at Unity's Friends with Flair hop! Don't forget to check out and shop at Unity's Tag Sale, too - and there's a $4.95 shipping special, too!

18 comments:

  1. Miwa, love what you did with the SOTW; your cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are lovely. Thank you for sharing the sketch sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miwa all your cards are fantastic! All different looks and very fall-ish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miwa, you did so many different things with the same pumpkin stamp! You rock, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Miwa, so many lovely cards. Loved how you showed how versatile this new SOTW can be. Thanks for sharing your sketch sites that you like as well.
    Paula Driver

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning creations, love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all your fabulous pumpkin cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing cards Miwa!! I like your third card the most with all that repeating and cut out pumpkins. Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards - love all the pumpkins.
    isoscia at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always go above and beyond! The water color background is my favorite I think...if I was forced to pick only ONE. Love all of your cards today, Miwa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All so pretty! Especially LOVE the watercolor one!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all so fab. I really love the watercolor effect on that vellum. Beautiful, as always, Miwa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! Leave it to you to come up with so many gorgeous cards and techniques Miwa!! What a beautiful job you did on all of them! I LOVE the colors you used on your watercolor card. Great job!!

    Amy E.
    Scrapthissavethat.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you've been a busy bee. And all of your creations is just beautiful. Super Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you've been having fun! All your cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the pumpkins on your cards, and the water color looks so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete