Just a quick update here... we had a splendid week of vacation in Palm Desert over Thanksgiving - it's been years since I've been able to relax during that holiday and WOW. I think we might make this a permanent tradition! I'll post some pictures soon, since there were a couple of really good museums I wanted to mention.In the meantime... Marika wrapped up her soccer season (6-2-2) and we THOUGHT Mika had finished her season last Saturday, but last night we learned that another team in another region had dropped out, so now Mika's team is "going on". There will be a couple of weekends of tournament play in January (though there's already a conflict with her softball evaluation), before they can advance to the next level of play.
And I finally got an MRI of my knee last Friday (I'd been playing but it didn't feel right) and lo and behold, the wheels of process turned really fast because I got a call from my sports medicine doctor a few hours later, that my ACL was - much to my surprise - completely torn. So much for worrying that insurance wouldn't believe it was a new injury! Doc told me to stop playing immediately (WHUH? I'm playing until they throw me into surgery!) but said another week or two of running wouldn't kill me (they want the knee to be in top form before surgery, because the atrophy happens so fast after surgery). I'm actually not thrilled about that because now my left knee is hurting, probably due to overcompensating for the weaker right knee when I play soccer. Anyway, I couldn't get in to see the orthopedist until NEXT Thursday (but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a cancellation this week) but the nurse thought he wouldn't have a problem doing the surgery on me the following week, since he'd be working. I won't be able to drive for at least a week, so it's really important to be able to fit the surgery in while the girls are on break - which is why I'm hoping I can get in to see the orthopedist earlier, so I can get the surgery before Christmas.
Well, at least I don't have to worry about trying to play with a bum knee. After surgery, I'm not supposed to play for at least 6 months, to allow time for the graft to take place. I suppose it may matter if they find out I really do have a torn meniscus, too (as the MRI shows). I'm determined to be running again after 4 weeks. I have a friend who might be inspired to finally get her knee surgery if I can pull through this with flying colors... :)
Unbelievable that this is all due to some schmuck who decided he had to illegally push me to keep me from the ball. Should I be flattered?! I'd like to go up to him and kick him in the shin. Really hard! =P (j/k!)
No comments:
Post a Comment