Thursday, May 6, 2010

So ABC News Nightline Called Me Yesterday...

Yup, I kid you not. Apparently, my name surfaced when some producer was preparing a news segment on my postgraduate specialty. I'm not even sure how she got my home phone number, but I've got a really uncomfortable feeling that it's in some article that was published after I left an academia (honestly, I never thought anyone would ever call me!). Since it has been 7 years since I've been in a lab with my insect babies and with no academic residence, I didn't feel qualified to talk to her. So, I referred her to our former project leader. Whew!

Some people are media darlings, I am not. I was once interviewed for NPR but I'm sure I sounded really weird and stupid on the radio (I never heard the segment, maybe they failed to send me a promised copy because it was so horrible!). I've also had a newspaper article done on my research. Then, when the article came out, people congratulate you to your face, but then you hear them talking about you behind your back and you know that they're not happy with you getting that kind of attention - either you or the newspaper didn't mention something or someone or there's some other form of backstabbing (*they* deserved the article, why didn't anybody call them?). This seemed to happen to others, too (oh, my - did I mention the backstabbing?). Oh, and did I mention that people came to find me at work, after reading the article, to talk to me and tell me their stories? Can I tell you how scary it is to be surprised in your tiny office by a complete stranger (who's possibly crazy) blocking the only exit out of the room? So, I've learned to shun the spotlight.

Do I miss working in academia and doing research? Sometimes, absolutely. I really love insects, they're so fascinating. I miss being treated like I have a brain, since my children seem to think they're smarter than me! Other times, no. I don't miss working 7 days a week, stressing about research deadlines or the health of my colonies, or writing those scientific articles. I do enjoy being able to raise my own kids and I'm glad I can share my love of bugs with Marika.

Sometimes there's nothing like a phone call out of the blue to make you contemplate your life - where you've been, what you're doing, and where you're headed... which choices were right... which might have been wrong... etc. Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, learning more about this other side of you. You are such a well-rounded person with your sports, academics, family.

    And not too surprising that a news producer found you. It is scary and terrible how easy it is to find someone's private information these days.

    ReplyDelete