Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Marika's Spring Sing

Last Friday, Marika had her Spring Sing at school. It was very cute to see her so excited about her performance. It was also an Open House, so Marika showed me some of her work around the classroom. Here is her "when I grow up, I want to be a...teacher" sheet. I was surprised to see this answer and asked her, "hey, I thought you wanted to be an entomologist...?" She sighed and said, "Mommy, I'm going to be both!" Oh, okay... excuse me for misunderstanding... =)

Since it was practically dusk by the time Marika's class performed, the lighting was absolutely terrible. Unfortunately, NONE of our group performance pictures turned out. One of the other moms in the classroom has an extraordinary high-powered camera and often posts her pictures on the internet to share (love that!). Hopefully she took some good photos...

Here's Miss Marika in her "costume"... the girls in her classroom were watermelon, the boys were corn and in the other class, the girls were strawberries while the boys were peas. They were very cute. As the classes performed, they went in order of age, so the children got progressively louder and more coherent - which was kind of funny to notice. Marika really got into it - I swear I could hear her (she has a distinctive voice) and her hand motions were very... passionate. Afterwards, when we told her how proud of her we were, her grin stretched from ear-to-ear.

I was really disappointed in Mika's behavior, though. Marika has to go to all of Mika's activities and at least pretends to pay attention, but Mika didn't even really watch Marika perform, even though she knew how excited she was about the show. It makes me wonder how Mika will be during the fall soccer season, during Marika's games. I guess we'll have to start packing her books to read to stave off boredom...

It was a weird weather weekend. It hailed during my soccer game but snowed during Daddy Dude's baseball game (he plays at a higher altitude). Is that wild or what?! Here's a lucky shot I took... he's about to hit the ball (it's about one foot in front of the bat). It was a single. =) Unfortunately, his team was mercied out (other team was leading them by more than 15 runs after 5 innings - yeah, that's not good).

Last week, a friend told me that there was a local Goodwill Industries bookstore. If you know me, the two things I love to buy the most are scrapbooking supplies and books - and I'm serious bargain hunter, so used books are a favorite of mine. The Goodwill store wasn't as good of a deal as the local library (where children's paperbacks are $0.25) but there were a few books I hadn't seen there that I didn't want to miss.

I know scrapper al won't appreciate this picture, but here's a rare photo of Hissamina coming out to look around (she's very shy). She might be lonely, so in July or so, we'll probably get her another companion or two. Hey, that would make a colony! But... reproduction is not allowed! These roaches produce an ootheca (egg case) but unlike most roaches, they retain the egg case inside (rather than popping it out) until the babies hatch and emerge. The last thing I want is to be surprised by 50 baby roaches crawling all over the place... that's *ick* even for me!

1 comment:

  1. (I'll just ignore the above photo...)

    Little House on the Prairie is one of my favorite series. Someday I'm gonna buy a boxed set for myself.

    ReplyDelete