Today, Marika and I took Hissamina (and everything else bug-related in the house) to Mika's class. I'm just going to say... preschoolers were definitely easier to control! I don't know how a single teacher can manage 20 first graders in one classroom. So many little people with so much to say! Whew! I'm wiped out!
On the bright side, Marika was a good helper (at least she didn't throw a hissy fit, since we were lucky the teacher even allowed her to accompany me) and the insect specimens were a big hit for everybody who wasn't traumatized by the fact they were dead. I kept trying to explain that for an insect taxonomy class, you need to collect A LOT of insects and kill them to study/identify them. Some of the children couldn't grasp the fact that the insects were dead (which was puzzling to me, or I suppose I could be complimented that they looked so good...?).
The teacher allowed me to use the entire hour (I was guaranteed only 15 minutes to start with) and I think they had fun (I suppose to them, I was much more fun than math class, though, right?). I'm very glad the insect collection is getting some educational use out of it. It made me wonder, though, where the heck my cockroach/earwig box went... somewhere in the garage, I suppose...
On a bad note, Hissamina refused to hiss again. We should have gotten a male... but it's too late now! Unless... somebody wants 60 baby cockroaches...???
And speaking of bugs... my "Bug Girl" layout was a runner-up in YSS's March sketch contest and I won a gift certificate to the store. Woohoo! She posts a few sketch every Friday, so it's a great way to make layouts quickly.
That's great you got to teach again. And congrats on your winning layout.
ReplyDelete