Okay, I’ll admit it – when Amber said our March
project was to be inspired by nature, I was very excited because I knew EXACTLY
what my layout would be about. Of course… insects! Conveniently, two fabulous
and photogenic insects just happen to live with us. Please give a warm welcome
to Spike & Hissamina, our Madagascar hissing cockroaches!
To make this layout, I used a Page Maps sketch
and the following items from CC: Amy Tangerine’s Sketchbook collection
patterned papers, Bazzill cardstock (charcoal), AC Zing! Opaque white embossing
powder, Lifestyle Crafts Nesting Flowers dies, adhesive (Snake Tape). Other
items I used were: a Prismacolor cream pencil (PC914), Pebbles Inc. chalk, a cockroach
stamp (Viva Las Vegas Stamps), a border punch (EK Success), and a Quickutz
label die.
I just adore Amy Tangerine’s sketchbook collection –
the papers are whimsical, which I thought would contrast very nicely with the
“chalkboard” look I wanted to use for the title piece. I ended up using a total
of 6 different patterned papers from this set.
Step
1 – Fussy cut the border
I chose this particular background paper because of
the yellow flowers – they looked like they could have been drawn with yellow
chalk and would match the “chalkboard” title. I chose the border strips I
wanted (yes, I do like to fussy cut!), marked their placement on the paper, and
carefully cut (with a craft knife) an opening on both sides to slip the edges
beneath the flower border – this allowed the border strips to seamlessly merge
with the floral pattern. After the border was in place, I added the photo and
journaling block. Chalkboards and school go hand-in-hand, so I border punched
the journaling with a notebook edge look and chose a font fit for school (KG
Primary Penmanship Lined – you can download it here).
Step
2 – Making the title (chalk transfer)
Creating a “chalkboard” look has been “in” for
awhile. I found this great tip on Pinterest,
on how to easily transfer/draw a specific font on a project. First, I created a
template of how I wanted the lettering to appear on a piece of paper exactly
the same size and shape as my cardstock. Then, I brushed a layer of white chalk
on the back of the paper, where the lettering was located. I fitted the two
pieces of paper together and then proceeded to trace the letting with a
ball-point pen, being careful not to shift the paper. When you remove the
template, a faint outline of the lettering remains – this will be your letting guide!
How cool is that?
Step
3 – “Chalking” the title
Next, I carefully wrote over the chalk tracings. You
could also use a white colored pencil, but I liked cream because it provided a
warmer color. As an added emphasis for the title piece, I penciled in a border
to help it *pop* off the page. I rubbed some white chalk around the lettering
and edges, to finish off the “chalkboard” look.
Step
4 – Adding the title
Once the title piece was adhered to the layout, only
the top space needed to be filled out for balance.
Step
5 – “Chalking” the roaches
You can also create a “chalkboard” technique by
embossing with white powder on dark paper. I used my new cockroach stamp (from
VLVS) and created my image on half-circles (die cuts from Lifestyle Crafts Nesting
Flowers die). I backed the circles with the scalloped flowers and tucked it all
under the border strip. For the final touches, I used the crème color pencil
and added some stitching, as well as chalking a bit of white around the image
and edges.
And here’s the completed layout! Now that you know
two ways to create the chalkboard look, what can you come up with? Have fun “chalking”
and happy scrapping! J
.jpg)

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment