Thursday, January 10, 2013

Blog Hop - Meet the New Cropchocolate.com Design Team!

The new Cropchocolate.com Design Team is starting off their term with a blog hop - welcome to my blog! You should have arrived from DeeDee's blog. If not, then you might want to start at the very beginning (Amber's blog here), so you don't miss any fun or inspiration along the way. :) Be sure to leave comments along the way! The blog hop runs from January 11th to the 14th. Have fun hopping!
 
 
In case you were wondering - this is me! A rare photo, because I prefer to be BEHIND the camera! I'm a young-at-heart SAHM to two little girls. I'm extremely fortunate to be married to an amazing guy who doesn't complain about my scrapbooking hobby...! We've been married for 13 years, but together for over 21. Time flies when you're having fun!
 
Here are a few "fun" facts you may or may not know about me...
 
1. My right ACL is a transplant (that's a ligament in the knee, by the way).
2. I have never, EVER been able to perform a head-first dive. It's a little late to learn now, too!
3. Two Madagascar hissing cockroaches live with us as pets ("Spike and Hissamina") - but it's really not a shocker when you learn I have a Ph.D. in entomology. :)
4. When I was pregnant, I had intense cravings for Willy Wonka's grape tangy taffy - but could never find any! Well, I could have bought huge boxes of it on Ebay, but thought that might not be such a good idea.
5. I'm an absolutely terrible bowler. Just rotten! But oddly enough, I consider myself very athletic - I run 6 times a week and play on 4 different soccer teams. Apparently, though, I cannot bowl or dive to save my life.
6. I'm such a Gleek - I own almost all of their CDs (yes, I'm old-fashioned). I tell myself that it's good musical exposure for my girls, learning a vast array of songs from all over! Yup, that's what I say...  
7. I am a bargain-hunting book fiend. One of the highlights of my week is to visit the used bookstore of our local library to scope out the latest finds. My husband needs to bring (or build) me more bookshelves... I love to read and how can you resist amassing a huge collection when children's books are $0.25/paperback and adult reads are $0.35 for paperbacks and $0.75 for a hardcover? I can't!
 
I really enjoyed being on the CC Design Team last year and I'm very excited about being back for another term and working with a new set of ladies. This time around, though, I'll be doing layouts and cards exclusively! Layouts are my first love... here is the first of two projects that I submitted for DT consideration. You may recognize it as my December "thankful" project, called: "Thank Heaven for {crop}chocolate: the good, the bad, and the ugly". It was supposed to represent "me" as a crafter...
 
 
CC-items: EP For the Record 2 Collection Pack (patterned papers, alphabet stickers, diecut stickers, etc.), FP Designs (Baby Mine Chipboard Alphabet, lace ribbon trim, Chalked rub-ons, Double Alphas rub-ons, Charcoal baker’s twine (The Twinery), Ink (Tim Holtz Distress Ink – Walnut Stain),
MM eyelets (pewter), fabric squares – Verona (Riley Blake Designs), MM Scrapbook Basics Glitter Foam Alpha Stickers, Adhesive (Scrappin’ Supplies);

 non-CC-items:
Marvy-Uchida scalloped circle punch, red rickrack (Bazzill),white thread (Coats & Clark), adhesives (Krylon, tacky glue, glue dots),
white cardstock (The Paper Company)
 
My second project, which was supposed to be "out of the box", was creating this paper shoe. I love shoe couture but I actually hate wearing heels because I prefer to be comfortable. At least this way, I can still enjoy a pretty shoe... I called this project, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..." 
 
 
CC-items: Doodlebug Paper Potpourri 12x12 Ladybug, EP Season's Greeting cardstock (Red/Cream),
Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Festive Berries), adhesive (Scrappin' Supplies), MM Ribbon & Gems (hot chocolate from a long time ago), MM Bravissimo Pearls, MME Dear Santa Rhinestones

Non-CC-items: Tim Holtz Alterations die (rosette), adhesives (Krazy Glue, tacky glue, hot glue, Zots), white wire butterfly, feathers (Creatology)

Here are some close-ups of various angles...


And finally, here is the most recent project I just completed: my entry for cropchocolate.com's weekly challenge #44 (a birthday card for my mother). Hey, wouldn't it be a great New Year's resolution to try and do as many weekly challenges as possible? YES!!!


Patterned paper (FP Love Story), FP white corrugated paper, Carte Bella kraft paper, TH Distress ink (Festive Berries & Brushed Pewter),
TH Clear Rock Candy distress crackle, Lifestyle Crafts Nested Eyelet Squares;
 
non-CC-items: Bazzill cardstock, QK die, TH Black Soot distress ink
(card based on Seize the Birthday Sketch #1 for 2013)

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments, so if you have a moment, become a follower and leave a comment of any sort - if you need a prompt, why not mention your New Year's resolution or what kind of pregnancy cravings YOU had? :)

Your next stop on your hop will be Christina's blog. She's so amazing with her creativity! Thanks for visiting and I'll see on around on the CC boards! :)

47 comments:

  1. Miwa, you are so much fun! Love that shoe project, girl! You rocked it! Your fun facts made me LOL -- literally -- especially the diving and bowling ones. I can relate. Run 10 miles Saturday morning? No problem. Bowl over 100? Nope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, one day you and I should bowl together - it might actually be an even match! Although... I'll bet I can throw more gutter balls than you! I might even be able to slide down the lane (accidentally)... ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love your projects!The first one looks like a magazine cover and the shoe is just cool...
    I am also proud to say I am a Gleek..my kids watch with me but mostly just to make fun of it and me but I don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! That shoe, so great!! I agree...love looking at the fancy shoes but don't want to wear them ;) Love your LO's too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that's a first for me...hissing cockroaches as pets?! LOL!! Love your projects, that LO is fantastic (and oh so true!) and your shoe is stunning...but I'm with you, I'd rather be comfortable, more like the Birkenstock Clogs I'm currently wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore that layout!!!! Awesome projects Miwa - I can't wait to see what inspiration you create this term!!! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miwa, love your shoe -- you did a beautiful job on it.
    Your birthday card is great too! You're lucky to have a husband who is supportive of your "disease" -- it certainly helps and you don't have to hide the boxes of goodies that keep coming in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still try not to let him check the mail too often... ;), although I think he doesn't mind because he has his own "hobbies"... heh heh heh... we are a very supportive couple!

      Delete
  8. Great layouts and I love your shoe! And card! Love reading more about you! Congrats on the DT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm a follower now and no cravings I was pregnant with twins and had to eat so much that I didn't have cravings but I did look forward to my toasted English muffin with peanut butter or melted cheese every night!

      Delete
  9. Lovely projects! To answer your pregnancy cravings question...last pregnancy I could have lived off of the chili fries from Fatburger...not sure why, but they were one of my favorite things to shovel in my mouth. With my current pregnancy, for about 6 weeks when my morning sickness was really bad, junk food (like greasy burgers and whatnot) were the only things I could eat and not feel sick (give me a banana and I'd instantly feel ill) and had my very first square burger from wendy's during that time (before that a square burger seemed really weird) and I had them almost everyday when my morning sickness was at its worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the human body funny? The body wants what it wants! I also thought it was funny that despite me wanting grape stuff - both of my kids HATE grape flavored things. On the bright side, they give all their grape candy to me. :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. You have a PhD in entomology???!! That is crazy!!! I'm glad I didn't mention my lowly BA in my 5 facts...... ;)

    That shoe is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From one shoe lover to another - you rock!! I love your paper shoe! Keep up the great work! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your work!! I almost used two of your projects as the "design team lift" challenge!! I ended up not having enough time and did something else, but I'm keeping the "Thank goodness for CropChocolate" and the Star for later!!! :o) I'm following you and looking forward to the next 6 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that paper shoe! It's amazing! I'm a Gleek too, I have all the cd's saved on my computer, and when I'm crafting I pull it up and just hit shuffle. I can happily listen to Glee music and craft for hours. :-) Hmmm, pregnancy cravings? When I was pregnant with Gavin, all I wanted were Snickers bars, Nacho Cheese Doritos and fresh peaches. Good thing I spent a summer pregnant, good fresh peaches aren't an easy task in October/November. :-) So glad to see you still on the DT, Miwa, and I can't wait to see what you do this time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray for Gleeks! :) And at least one of your cravings was healthy!

      Delete
  14. Congrats loved reading about you. Didn't really have any cravings just wanted to eat all the time lol,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Long time follower and admirer...can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all of your projects! Especially the shoe! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another Gleek! My daughter is a Gleek and I have to confess that I love the music too and listen to the cds in the car. We also have a Warblers cd that we love too! Our collection isn't as big as your yet but we're working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember that thankful LO. You always use such creative shapes in your LO's. I'm a little jealous at your ability to do this I must admit. Also we're a gleek family too since my daughter's in show choir. Although this year I found myself never having time to watch it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your layout and the shoe is stunning !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely not in Kansas, Toto! Love that shoe! Sounds like you have a happy life even though you can't bowl or dive! :-) Looking forward to serving on the DT with you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the birthday card. I want to do more cardmaking this year. Following...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the shoe! I love high heels but can't wear them b/c I'm such a clutz! gwsharkcpa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your projects Miwa but I am really intrigued by your personal facts! I think it's fascinating that you are an entomologist! Don't know if I could live with the roaches though, even ones as interesting as Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. I too have the problem of too few bookcases and I am really reluctant to get rid of books so I just have stacks of them in various places in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally beautiful shoe! I can't wear high heels either-have a bad bunion and old gymnastics injury. I love that lo-it's all so true! I am a microbiologist-bacteria, parasite and mold loveing girl! Looking forward to lots of inspiration from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one after my own heart! Isn't parasitism fascinating?

      Delete
  25. Hi Miwa, love your fun facts, my sister had two lab rats for pets when we were kids, Ellie and Elvis (after Elvis Presley), but I think you have us beat with your pets! Love the shoe and the layout is awesome! Looking forward to working with you on the DT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love those rat names! I developed my love for guinea pigs only after I brought some home, after I was done using them for my grad research (everybody was adopted out to a loving home - I couldn't have stood it otherwise!). I didn't think they were cute at first, but by the end (when it was time to take them home), I wanted to take them all with me! Funny how they all have their distinct personalities (and I only took half home with me)!

      Delete
  26. Love your LO and shoe! Also enjoyed reading your fun facts. (Cockroaches as pets?? Fascinating!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a new follower! LOVE your layouts and that shoe is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on making the team again! Great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Athletic, indeed!! Lovely picture, too! :)

    Love both projects, but especially the good/bad/ugly...ain't that the TRUTH!! :D REALLY love the eyelet & twine corners!! :)

    Congrats on being on the CC DT again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that red shoe - can you make it in my size?? ;) so glad you're back for a second term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, you help make it so fun! :) Thanks for being so awesome!

      Delete
  31. Miwa, you can always make me laugh! Love your projects (I want that shoe, too), and I can't wait to see what else you do!! Glad you still run and play despite the ACL! It's so great learning more about you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, all, for your kind comments and for hopping along with us! See you around on The Crop and the CC Boards!!! Happy scrappin' and shopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the Pink Frilly Shoe! Very Dainty.

    ReplyDelete
  34. MIWA! Frick yeah dude! I love your work and know this term will be a great one :D

    ReplyDelete