Knee update: after receiving a preliminary phone call from my sports medicine doc Tuesday afternoon, delivering the news that the radiologist reading my MRI said I had a torn meniscus, I was absolutely ECSTATIC when the orthopedist (yesterday afternoon) told me that my knee looked good and everything was totally fine (no tears!). That big huge swollen knee was just a subcutaneous hematoma and well, he'd try to drain it.
Well, he tried - but only a little bit of stuff came out. He said if it were him, he'd wrap the knee and let it sit for another couple of weeks - or, he could try to lance it. If you know me, you know I asked him to do the latter procedure. So, he lanced it - nothing came out! After an even larger incision, a lot of old, congealed (like cottage cheese) blood was finally expelled. He said it was rare for things not to have liquified within 5 weeks (lucky me, right?), which prompted me to ask, "So... you could have done this 2 weeks ago when I first came to see you?" He laughed and said, "probably!" Oh, well... hindsight is always 20/20. Things probably would have hurt a lot more, too, since it was a very bad bruise.
So I am allowed to only walk for the first week (to protect the stitches) - no biking, etc. But I am very excited about a quick recovery and being told I don't have to wear any sort of a brace when I am back to playing soccer. How cool is that?!
And perhaps even cooler... Prima Marketing is having a warehouse sale in a couple of weeks! I've already rounded up a couple of friends to go with the girls and me. I'm terribly excited, because I couldn't attend the last warehouse sale and had to live with seeing people posting their "haul" on youtube! For more information, you can read the announcement here.
Yay on the knee! So does that mean the radiologist read the MRI incorrectly? The lancing sounds fascinatingly gross, lol. Have fun at the Prima sale. Did you see my tweet or are you on their mailing list?
ReplyDeleteI saw your tweet, scrapper al (I'm on their mailing list but don't recall seeing anything from them)! And then I searched the internet for more info. I guess radiologists just read the films and interpolate the images... but orthopedic surgeons know from opening people up, what's really there and what's not (so they compare what they see in real life to what's on the film). I didn't have any symptoms of a torn meniscus so it was really weird to me, especially since I never thought my knee was twisted when I went down. I can't even imagine how anybody reads an MRI - it's a bunch of black & white images!
ReplyDeleteYay, glad to know that someone is reading my tweets, lol.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm jealous you are close enough to hit the Prima warehouse sale! I love Prima but I'm too cheap to buy their stuff at full price. LOL Wish I could hit that one up!
ReplyDeleteKendahl - I totally agree with you. Their stuff is luscious, but can be a tad pricey. I'm hoping it'll be a good sale... but at least I'll have my friends with me so we'll have fun, one way or another! :)
ReplyDelete