Very reluctantly, I brought my machine to the local sewing store. This Bernina is 11 years old, a present from my parents. When I got it, it was probably a top-of-the-line machine, which was very nice and generous of the parental units. In the sewing store, every machine there is now computerized and looks pretty flash (another lady who came in remarked to me, "hey, your machine looks like mine! It actually has knobs!"). However, the store people assured me that this Bernina model was a very good machine, that I should hang onto it, and that a good cleaning was probably all it needed. A cleaning, by the way, is still a good chunk of money, but definitely LESS than the cost of a new machine!
It went in on Monday and last night I got the call that it was ready to be picked up! I was also extremely fortunate, because their repairman worked for Bernina for 20 years and they said he chooses to fix the Berninas first. I spent a few minutes chatting with the ladies of the store (who were all delightfully nice and charming), admiring their hand-sewn "Wicked" Elphaba doll with its tiny little fingers (who knew you could turn fingers inside-out that were only 3 mm wide?!) and remininscing about black-and-white televisions and fathers who didn't repair things around the house in a timely fashion (like TV's, even though he was a TV repairman!). That was a hoot!
This store offer sewing classes to children (from age 8), so maybe in another year or so I'll enroll Miss Mika, so she can get started on her fashion design career. =) Hopefully she'll never sew through her finger like I did, when I was little...
I used to take all kinds of classes there when I was small. My mom always signed up my friend and I in the summer. It was a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteSewing is a lost skill. I hope your girls enjoy learning how to sew.
ReplyDeleteIt IS a lost skill, I wonder why. I keep meaning to teach the girls how to hand-sew (I have a ton of leftover felt now) but seriously, I'm terrified of lost needles on the floor (my mother constantly did that but I was the only one stepping on them, go figure).
ReplyDelete