It'd been a little while since we'd visited Grandma at the beach, so when Veteran's Day rolled around and both girls were out of school, we drove over!

We always bring kites, because the winds are better at the beach. We had hoped Michelle could join us later in the afternoon, but she was too swamped with school. I know she'll be wondering, so I just wanted her to know -
none of the kites tried to escape this time! This kids did, however, decide to antagonize some poor seagulls...

The day was a little overcast and wee bit chilly, so only one kid was crazy enough to wear her bikini and enter the waves (which were a kind of big, I thought). We were lucky enough to see some huge fishing birds (neither pelicans nor cormorants) and a pod of dolphins passing by.

Grandma took the kids on a long walk down the beach, but luckily, these critters strolled by and posed for the camera. I may be a bit rusty, but I believe the one on the left is a member of the
Pentatomidae family (the order Hemiptera is also known as the sucking bugs) but I won't even hazard a guess for the fly on the right.

Back at Grandma's apartment, we got to see some of her travel photos. Grandma has traveled all over the world, which is pretty cool, if you ask me! On the top photo, she's in Argentina (on a boat), passing by some massive waterfalls. On the bottom, she is riding a camel (obviously!) with the pyramids in the back. Way cool! Grandma rocks!

And finally, after dinner, the girls made some origami with Grandma. I'll have you know, though, that Marika woke us up the next morning with a screaming fit, wailing that her origami lily was broken. She cried and cried and cried. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and asked her to bring me the flower, to see if I could fix it. And do you know what was wrong? The petals had come uncurled - that's why she was freaking out. *sigh* There isn't enough room for two drama queens in this household...

And here is a picture of possibly the tiniest origami crane in the world! That big orange thing in the background is a regular-sized Fuyu persimmon...
Thanks, Grandma, for letting us come and visit! We had lots of fun! =)
Grandma is so cool!
ReplyDelete