Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Release Day!

At long last, on Monday morning, it was time to let our insect friends go back to nature!

The butterflies fluttered away pretty quickly, except for one soul who apparently FINALLY noticed the sugar wick and settled in for a deep drink. Upon cleaning out the cage, I found a multitude of tiny blue eggs... which hatched a day later. I'm trying to find food for the miniscule caterpillars to eat, but we don't have any thistles or daisy plants around...

The ladybugs ran away even faster, except for two love bugs. I didn't even want to get into the whole thing of insect "mating", so I just sat quietly while the girls talked about how nice it was for one ladybug to be giving another one a ride. Mika surprised me with her sharp observational skills (usually she is not so interested in insects) and announced, "look, Marika - there's a yellow egg!" Yup, we have one lone ladybug egg to watch...

And we also had a grasshopper to release as well. He joined our little family on Saturday night, during S.'s work function dinner party. This grasshopper really liked something about Marika - he kept jumping onto her head and crawling around (2-3 times) before hopping away. Really, he was in no hurry to leave us.

We also babysat our friend's guinea pig, Flower, on Sunday for a few short hours. I thought it would be a good time for Daisy to have a playdate and maybe, start to vocalize a little more. After all, supposedly females are supposed to get along. Well... I'm sorry to report that that wasn't the case. They chuttered, they snapped... they were separated. Daisy was not a good hostess, I'm afraid...

No comments:

Post a Comment