Friday, June 5, 2015

And the End is Near - FWF #23

Can you believe it's June already? My, how time flies... only four days left of school for my kids! Unfortunately, though... it was time for some sympathy cards. Bo and I have befriended many people on our walks, one of which is a mother/daughter duo - the mother's husband was recently diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer (the same thing my father died from 13 years ago) and passed away a couple of days ago. The diagnosis was a huge surprise but the rate of decline was depressing and tragic. It's always sad when somebody dies, but this really hit close to home, remembering back to watching my own father suffer through it all.

As you know, Unity has some wonderful sympathy cards, so I selected sketches that would showcase those images. I really liked the sketch below from Viva La Verve, but I took some liberties with the placement of some elements...



 

And here's my take on it...I wanted to keep it simple, since the idea was to just send my condolences. With my awesome stamp-ma-jig, I used the shape stamp from Everything Christmas {November 2013 Sentiment Kit} with a sentiment from Beautiful Life, Blessed Memories {February 2015 Sentiment Kit}. This card will go to the mother.

I also really liked this sketch, although I'm not sure of the original source because it is in a foreign language...
 
...and used it to showcase two stamps from the Everything Wonderful {June 2013 Sentiment Kit}. This card will go the daughter and her family.
 
 
Inside sentiments were chosen from the Beautiful Life,  Blessed Memories kit again.

 

And for my recipe of the week, DaddyDude asked me to make lasagna, for the first time in several years (the kids aren't big fans). After some searching on Pinterest, I decided upon this recipe, the World's Best Lasagna. The recipe was very good, but heavier on the sauce than I am used to (so I guess that made it more "restaurant-like"). Next time, I would just add more layers of noodles in between all that sauce...but that probably means I need to get a deeper dish! My 9x13 casserole dish was pushed to the limit!

Thanks for visiting, hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty cards. I really like that 2nd sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards and yummy looking food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty sympathy cards. Unity does have some wonderful sympathy sentiments.
    Shanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards Miwa. Lovely sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards. Love the colors and the layout ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very meaningful cards. Always difficult to do these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your friends' loss. These cards are lovely ways to show them you care.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete