Today I promised that I would talk about one of my great loves - Julie guessed correctly that I was talking about bugs. Yes, I love insects! Unity Stamp Company has some beautiful insect stamps - but that should come as no surprise, because all of their stamps are fabulous. I also love the "chalkboard" look, so when I saw these coasters at Target, an idea was born... (I don't know why I like to do chalkboard art with bugs, but here's one of my favorite bug layouts - if you hate bugs and scream at the sight of real ones, don't look!! I'm so not kidding!).
Don't you just love the One Spot? Four chalkboard coasters for only a buck! I grabbed two packages. :)
Insect coasters! Of course! Who wouldn't think of making these? But in all seriousness, I thought white embossed insects would look striking against the black. Here are some close-ups and links to the stamp kits I used...
Stamp of the Week: Flight of Courage
Then I thought I'd have some fun and see how colored embossed sentiments would look. I love how things *pop* off the chalkboard coasters! By the way, all of the embossing powders were American Crafts Zing!
Angie Girl: Dream with Your Heart (pretty cool with the two colors, right?)
These coasters were very easy and quick to make - I'll probably seal them before I use them, but honestly, I'm in no hurry, just because I hate the smell of sealant...
And since graduation is coming soon, I thought I better get cracking on making my cards. DaddyDude has a few residents graduate from his program every year, so it's my task to make the cards. He's kind of a picky fellow, so I make him several and he picks which ones he wants (ironically, I'm always surprised at his choices). So, in case you're looking for inspiration to make graduation cards, here are some ideas using Unity stamps (and yes, they're all based on a sketch). There are two distinctly feminine cards, but the rest I left relatively unadorned until DaddyDude decides which cards should go to which person (male or female).
Sweet Sunday Sketch #214 (obviously I really liked this, since I used it three times!)
Diploma Cap & Gown {wit & wisdom} - I simply adore Joslyn Nielson's Wit & Wisdom line!!!
Lisa Arana's Everything More kit is another must-have! Love my Stamp-Ma-Jig!
Sweet SundaySketch #201 (another fab sketch!)
Thank you for visiting my blog! Don't forget to leave a comment on the GIU posts - one lucky winner will get to pick two Itty-Bitties of their choice! Only one more day to go and I'll be showcasing one of my favorite projects, specialized designed for the new fuzzy one in our lives. Until then, I'll leave you with this excellent pin I found...
Happy crafting! :)






Hey, hey, I even made today's post! Thanks for the shout out! I love those coasters! The closest Target is an hour from me, but the next time I'm there, I'm looking for those. VERY cool! And your graduation cards are ALL fantastic! You are SO rocking your week, Miwa! (But I knew you would!)
ReplyDeleteOk, I really need to start looking more closely at the Dollar Spot at Target! Your coasters are fantastic! Love all the graduation cards!! You have been busy! Great take on the sketches!
ReplyDeleteThanks for playing along with the Tuesday Morning Sketches team! Fabulous take on this week's sketch!!
Wow, another group of great projects Miwa! Love the stamped chalkboard coasters. The images really pop!
ReplyDeleteLove the coaster set and all the cards! I was at Target yesterday, which is about 45 minutes away.... Bought two things that I will have to return (ugh!). Can't believe they weren't the right items. I rarely shop there. But I love the coasters. Maybe when I go back, I'll find some!
ReplyDeleteWOW.. you've been busy Miwa! I love those buggy coasters :) Awesome stuff!!
ReplyDeleteGoodness.... You've been busy. You really know how to make bugs pretty, hee hee. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful selection of graduation cards and love the bug coasters.
ReplyDeleteWOW once again. You have been so busy. Great projects. Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I go into Target I make it a point to walk right by the Dollar Spot! It's either that, or I spend all my money right there before I've even seen anything else in the store!!! They have so much good stuff for a buck!
ReplyDeleteI've been loving your projects all week! I was the GIU girl last month and only showcased one project a day...and here you are doing like 10 of them a day! WOW!!! You're a very prolific crafter!!
I love the idea of embossing on chalkboard paper. It always comes out looking so great. And all of your cards are awesome! DaddyDude is lucky to have his own personal card maker!!!
Amy E.
Scrapthissavethat.com
I love the coaster idea. You are amazing.
ReplyDeleteYou have fantastic ideas. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWonderful bugs and etc. Some awesome graduation card ideas.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea with those buggy coasters! Gotta love the dollar spot! And so many great graduation cards too. Very inspirational!
ReplyDeleteThose bugs aren't scary at all! They're beautiful! What a great selection of graduation cards.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely DO love that $ spot! These coasters are the cutest thing!! Love the chalky effect and the bright embossing is awesome as well…fabulous idea. Talk about cards, amazing…you've been such a busy lady this week!
ReplyDeleteThe coasters are adorable. I love how you stamped so many different images and colors.
ReplyDeleteThose chalkboard coasters are wonderful and have to say it's a good thing I didn't find them at my Target because I'm a bit of a hoarder and I know I would have picked up way too many! LOVE all your graduation cards....what an assortment!
ReplyDeleteYour coasters are fabulous! I especially love the color embossed ones!
ReplyDeletewow!! beautiful projects!! the coasters are my favorite!!
ReplyDelete-Berina
Moxie Craftie