Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fun With Tiles

Hello, my Friends with Flair friends! I took advantage of the fact that Unity gave us some extra time to load up our FWF creations and stopped by our Habitat for Humanity Restore after Mika's batting lesson. I love to rummage through their aisles because you never know what you might find! Yesterday, I finally remembered to purchase some white tiles (for $0.25 each!) to make some décor for my girls' room - and I was thrilled to see they had a narrow size, too. I knew immediately they would be perfect for using the recently-released Stephanie Ackerman stamps (I LOVE these!). You can check them out here:
 
I looked around Pinterest to see the suggestions on how to stamp on tile, but I also learned through trial and error. Here is what I learned while making these tiles...

(1) My StazOn ink needs to be reinked! Or, I need a new one...
(2) Heating in the oven does heat-set Staz-On ink (this is good!)
(3) Heating in the oven apparently makes Spectrum Noir marker coloring - disappear (this is bad!)
(4) Spraying acrylic sealer on Staz-On and Spectrum Noir marker makes it melt/smear (this was agonizing to watch!)
(5) I need to buy more acrylic sealer (I really need to go shopping!)
 
So, the projects here are stamped with Staz-on (most heat-set) and you can see the different "looks" you can achieve with colored versus white tile. I like how the StazOn contrasts sharply with the yellow, but the coloring options are limited because not many colors will show properly against the yellow. My next task will be figuring out how to convince hubby to drill holes into the tiles (so I can hang them on the wall), or to get the nerve up and use my Dremel to do it myself. :)
 
Love this stamp! The narrow tile was PERFECT for it, too.
 

This one didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but it was all me - and I think it also would have helped to have a juicier StazOn pad.

Another favorite...

Last but not least - my absolute most favorite Stephanie Ackerman stamp!

And now I have to dash off for a day of soccer for the kids. Hope you all have a great weekend!

20 comments:

  1. You have been busy. Lovely CAS cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you used these large stamps for tiles. How cool. They look wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love..loove...looooove..oh my they are beauties..thanks for sharing..I now need to get those stamps,lol!
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Big hugs
    Tracy
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful tiles! Gotta love the trial and error.. it is painful, but you learn. Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, I have all these stamps. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiles?? What a fantastic idea to use those stamps on tiles!!! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such cool tiles! They are perfect for your daughters' rooms! At least you are trying new things-that's how we learn :-). I just need more hours so I can try all of the things I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are awesome! I see shopping now in my future, too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - these are truly awesome! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I was more adventurous, cause I would so add something like this into my kitchen back splash! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tiles thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome possum, Miwa! So, the red, yellow, and green color that I see in the tiles. Since your Spectrum Noir disappeared on you, do I assume you achieved that with Stazon? I would like to try this myself, so I might as well save myself the agony, you know? Wonderful effect when you finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the black ink was StazOn - the marker color I had to re-apply. I will assume it will stay on until it's wiped off with something wet, but I told the girls only to touch the edges of the tile. I'm tempted to try Mod Podge as a sealer, but I don't know if it will work...

      Delete
  13. Love these Miwa! Love your creativity! I may need to borrow your idea. I think these would make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all so cute! Thanks for the tips, I have always wanted to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these! Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW I never knew I can stamp on Ceramic tiles!! I am going to try because after these sales I have plenty of new Unity stamps to use!!
    Thanks for the hints!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be some differences with glazed vs. unglazed (rough) - the glazed ones, you can wipe away mistakes while they're fresh (which I had to do!). From what I've read, if you stamp on unglazed tiles, it's pretty much a one-way street, but the effect of the roughness can be pretty extraordinary. One of these days, I'll get there. Good luck to you and your projects! :)

      Delete
  17. I use my heat gun to heat set and I use E6000 glue to glue hangers to the back of my tiles...so I do not bust or crack them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I forgot that E6000 glue is on my list - I hear it is an amazing adhesive!

      Delete