Sunday, April 22, 2012

Go for the Gold!

 Nah, not really. But I've been a little tense lately, stressing out about a local race the girls had wanted to participate in. It finally took place this morning - a 5K run/walk (that's 3.1 miles, for those of you who never ran cross country). I wasn't worried about Mika (she can run, though she makes it look painful), but Marika (who I know can run, but she whines a lot). In addition, Marika ended up getting stung by a bee on the bottom of her foot yesterday afternoon!

My friend Kim and I had made plans to walk the course together (I'm not allowed to run for another couple of months) while her husband took their two kids plus ours. By the time the race started, her hubby had gained another 2 kids (we all entered through the kids' school, but there wasn't anybody to run with them, everybody had to take care of their own kids... unless you were comfortable letting them run on their own - but even I would worry about getting lost or meandering onto the wrong (and thus longer distance) course!

I needn't have worried, because the girls had a great time running with their friends. It was reported to me that Marika did NOT whine once (yay!) and finished the race with flying colors. It definitely helped, though, that there were a few water stations and afterwards, the girls got free snowcones (I opted for free orange juice). At their jogging club awards assembly, all participants will get a medal. I am glad they earned theirs, fair and square! I had been worried I'd have to carry Marika on my shoulders.
So here we are, at the end of the race. It wasn't too hot; in fact, I'd say the weather was perfect! It made me crazy not to run, though... so next year I want to run either the 10K or half-marathon. I'm also hoping to get DaddyDude to join us... :)

1 comment: