Friday, October 7, 2011

Should I be pleased or alarmed? And other tidbits...

Hey, everybody - Walgreens is offering free 25 4x6 prints when you order 25, with promo code: FALL25. I just ordered my prints today (50 was the perfect quantity), but when I went to pick them up, the photo guy just went to the pick-up boxes and picked up my package - without asking my name or why I was there. He said I came often enough that well... it was about time for me to come back! I was... dumbfounded. I just never expected any sort of "small store" feel to a chain pharmacy. Maybe I'm one of the few Asians that shop there...? I dunno...!

On another note, I have a new book recommendation - how many of you have read The Golden Compass trilogy by Philip Pullman? We watched the movie a couple of years ago and were not impressed, but when I found out The Golden Compass was a Classic Reader book (AR reading level 7.1 and worth 19 points), I decided it was high-time to read it (I have learned the hard way that it is best to read the book before Mika, to make sure everything is "age-appropriate" and there are no surprises!). I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was a very engaging read and immediately purchased (at half.com) the remaining two in the series: The Subtle Knife (excellent) and The Amber Spyglass (I'm halfway through this one). Now I have to go back and watch the movie - I'm sure it will make more sense! For those people interested in purchasing these books, there is a book edition that contains all three books - you can find it here for less.

Mika finished reading Farewell to Manzanar last night, so I went to the library today to get some books on the Japanese American internment, as well as the bombing of Pearl Harbor and a book on World War II (in general). DaddyDude is less than enthused, but I'm really excited about spending time discussing the book with her - it's the first really challenging book material that she's read and I'm hoping it brings some interesting topics out on the table for discussion. After all, this is the same little girl who is color-blind when it comes to people! She's either going to be more worldly or she's going to have her cultural identity crisis at age 8. :)

By the way, the last book Mika finished was Call of the Wild by Jack London. For those of you who would like to read it (again), it's free online! You can check it out here.

Last but not least... in case you have a little bit of time on your hand and are looking to be easily amused... a cropchocolate.com friend posted a link to this video, which emphasizes the importance of good customer service (United Airlines apparently, did not handle guitars very well in the past). Song #1, Dave's response, Song #2 and Song #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment