Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cavortin' on the river

We've spent the past few days having loads of fun on the Colorado River - I'll post more pictures tomorrow...

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this picture of an adult caddisfly. I haven't seen these guys since I lived in Massachusetts, so I was pretty excited. This insect order (Trichoptera) contains some very interesting biological characteristics in the larval stages - not only do they live in water, but they often create elaborate "cases" for themselves (for protection and concealment). You can see some examples here, here, and here. You'll notice that the last link has some items that look like jewelry - and you'd be absolutely correct (I actually do own one such piece)! Here's one artist who, by exploiting the natural behavior of the larval caddisfly, has had his subjects create beautiful pieces of art.

Aw, c'mon - you have to admit that these insects are pretty cool! :)

1 comment:

  1. That jewelry is beautiful! And yes, even I would wear such a piece because of its unusual origin.

    ReplyDelete