Saturday, July 30, 2011

Grab Bag Alert!

I'm not a big fan of our local Michaels store, after they raised all of their $1 bins to $1.50. It just really bugs me, since I know the Michaels in the next town over has not changed their prices. So, when we walked into the store recently, we were surprised by the change in decor. Perhaps best of all, though, was the appearance of "Grab Bags". GBs were enclosed in Michaels plastic bags and marked $2 - so there's my haul above! These are the BIG pails and yes, they were in perfect shape (so $15-30 full retail price, I believe). I have no idea what I'm going to use them for - yet - but I'm resisting the urge to run back and buy the rest of their GBs!

More water fun... as the girls seem recovered from their Swimmer's Ear debacle... I've got a nice and toasty tan!

The latest book to recommend is the book "Push", by novelist Sapphire. This was the story made into the major motion picture, "Precious" (which I haven't seen yet). I was inspired to read the book, after reading the book review for her follow-up book (The Kid) in Entertainment Weekly. We went to the library yesterday to check the books out and though I managed to get "Push", I was dismayed to see somebody had scooped up the copy of "The Kid" a mere few minutes before I did. ARGH! Now I have to stalk the library in a couple of weeks to try and get it again... :)

It's a heart-wrenching book... but illustrates the power of the human spirit and the effect a good teacher can have on a willing (though disadvantaged) student. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books...

2 comments:

  1. $2 each or $2 for all? Either way, a great deal! As you say, good thing we're not close to each other because I'd have you pick up some for me. I'm always looking for different packaging for gifts. These would look great with homemade goodies inside. (Or Primas or ribbon or rubber stamps or a card making kit...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $2 for all 3 of them!!! The pails are about 6" in diameter, I think. I did go back this morning but they were all gone. Next time... I think I'll grab 3, 4, or 5! There's something magical about grab bags... :)

    ReplyDelete