Friday, July 9, 2010

Lovin' it!

Crock pots are cool!
Mom's boyfriend, Fred, dropped this off last month. It's an oldie, but goody. We'd actually been thinking about getting one for the last couple of years (our friend Sandy has been raving about them for years) but weren't willing to invest in something we considered "iffy". But, how can you complain about a FREE crock pot =)

I can't tell you how nice it is to spend only a few minutes in the morning prepping dinner - and enjoying a hot meal 8-12 hours later. We've made chili verde, a couple of beef stews, meatballs and a pot roast so far. The meatballs were really easy (just ground beef, egg and bread crumbs) but Daddy Dude loved them in his Hero sandwiches - even the girls liked them! If anybody has any recipe or cookbook recommendations, please let me know!

I had a realization this morning, as I took the girls to the car dealership for an oil change. Daddy Dude has taken care of all of the car maintenance appointments ever since the kids were born (and yes, that was a long time ago!), because taking them with me always seemed like such a hideous pain (the waiting, the crying, the whining, not to mention the woes of changing diapers, etc.). He's been working a lot and it's very difficult for him to fit them in now, so the girls and I sucked it up today and took the car in ourselves. Despite being a little anxious, it was surprisingly easy. The dealership recently renovated so the service department is incredibly streamlined and the waiting area is impressive. I was actually able to enjoy a nice hot cup of Starbucks coffee (snagging a coffee collar for a scrapbooking project, of course) while the kids played happily in their own special waiting area.

So what was the realization? We've reached another milestone of child care - where taking them places and handling other errands is no longer really problematic! I mean, how cool is that?!

4 comments:

  1. We have two crockpots and are considering getting another, lol. No really! Beans are good to cook in the crockpot and split pea soup. When I make split pea soup on the stove, sometimes it sticks to the bottom of the pan, but I don't have that problem in the crockpot. Oh, and jook (xi fan) also cooks well in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miwa, I have an etire cookbook that is all for crockpots, do you want touse it. There are side dishes, main dishes, breakfast and desserts. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrapper al - jook in the crock pot, really? Does it work with that Jade Kitchen recipe you referred to me, with the ground beef? Low for 8+ hours? That would certainly beat 2 hours on the stove... and that would be great!

    And Holly - yes, I would certainly be interested in borrowing your crock pot cookbook - but it would be even better if you noted your recommendations inside of it, too. =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only made plain jook (just rice and water) in the crockpot and I haven't done that in a while (like a long while) so I can't give you any tips, sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete