Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Pang of Homesickness

In the evenings when it's cooler, we often go outside to play. As I watched the June bugs fly around, I thought back to my childhood and suddenly - missed the sounds of the cicada (good picture here) and watching the fireflies glow (see here).

I mentioned these things to the girls and they were curious, so we went inside to check out youtube. There really is some good stuff out there! The firefly footage wasn't fabulous, but there's a really good BBC segment on the cicada life cycle (you might want to check out the other videos from the BBC!) and an impressive one on the top 10 most unbelievable insects.

Of course, the things I DON'T miss - associated with listening to the cicadas and seeing the fireflies flash - are suffering through high humidity and mosquito bites. =)

And if you find yourself *really* getting into insects, you may want to check out Isabellini's solo performances in "Green Porno" (insect mating) - she also has a new series called "Seduce Me" (animal mating - mostly marine). These are all available for viewing at the Sundance Channel online. She certainly puts an interesting spin on things in the animal kingdom... it helps to have some background knowledge of the animals in question (otherwise, things might seem really bizarre).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Miwa, your page looks great. I really like the new layout.

    ReplyDelete