Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break - Part 1

Mika's spring break was 2 weeks long, but Marika's was only one week.We started things off with a picnic at a park near Daddy Dude's work that we'd never been to. Nothing like In 'N Out burgers on a picnic blanket! It was an interesting park... different apparatus... but my favorite was the pseudo-spider web. I know, I know... you just can't take the biologist out of me... =) If they're ever a spider for Halloween, though, I am SO going to bring them back here for pictures... hee hee...

After some e-mail discussions with Uncle Ken about Mika and softball, I decided the key to Mika gaining confidence was to actually practice at the field she plays on. So, we grabbed a batting tee and her bag and went off to the park. Mika had a great time hitting the ball (so she had an idea of how far she could hit and where it would go - during a real game) and fielding. She did really well and best of all, seemed to truly enjoy it. Marika got into the spirit of it - for a little bit - and batted and fielded a wee bit.

Poor Mika had to go to Marika's school to help one morning, for their Easter Extravaganza, but she was a real trooper and was very helpful - helping me, helping other moms and being my "photographer on assignment." Ha! Now I can be in two places at the same time! =)


That particular day was kind of a big deal for Marika, because it was her day to bring in her birthday cupcakes. We got the sprinkles in the dollar bin at Target, but truthfully - these were the prettiest cupcakes the girls had ever decorated. So, it's either because of the sprinkles or the girls are getting better. Who knows?

On Friday, we headed off to Brackenbird Farm. I'd only taken Marika once a long time ago so Mika was very excited. It's actually a very cool place with tons of birds (it's a store for bird care) - they had a beautiful garden in the middle, with an enclosed aviary (watch your head!). Outside, you can see some interesting animals - there's one camel, a Brahma, a few goats, a donkey, some boars and a bunch of turkeys. The goats were anti-social this time, so only the turkeys ate up the corn we bought to feed them. I enjoyed watching the protective displays that the male turkeys kept performing (splaying their feather as wide as they could with a loud *whump* every minute or so, to make themselves look as big and scary as possible).

I know this isn't a great picture (I couldn't avoid my shadow), but at the library crafts hour, the girls did a collage project with Ms. Didi. I've never done any collage work but I was delighted with what the girls came up with.

It's only a matter of time before these two start to raid my stash!

Of course, we're still up to our usual sports activities, too. Mika has been hitting exceptionally well and is getting better at fielding. I just think she is so cute in the catcher's outfit! She did finally get tagged out at home, but she didn't cry - in all honesty, we're not sure if it's because she's "over it" (remember, she used to cry about this all last season) or if she didn't realize she was out, because the play was so close.

Daddy Dude is finally playing baseball again, albeit in a different league. They're not winning and he's been in some pain (shoulder and groin injuries), but it's still better than nothing. On the other hand, there are no time limits for the games, so it gets kind of excruciating for us (3+ hours!).

And finally... my Wednesday night soccer league ended up placing 2nd. We lost to a good team, but the goal they got to tie things up (they ultimately won in a shoot-out) was apparently tapped in by our own goalie. Oh, well! As much as I enjoyed playing with these girls, part of me is relieved it is over - the astroturf has caused many aches/pains and in the last game, I managed to pull a leg ligament quite badly (I can't sprint anymore), not to mention having a festering case of plantar fasciatus. In a nutshell - Daddy Dude and I have finally come to grips with the fact that we are getting older! I'm taking advantage of the fact I have another 2 weeks before the spring soccer season (full-field) starts, so I can (hopefully) fully recover.

Now, the bright side of placing second place is that we got consolation/complimentary T-shirts from the soccer shop running the league. The girls got the extras and having been enjoying wearing them as nightgowns. Pretty funny, eh?

Yeah, I feel like I got my money's worth from playing. =)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a busy week! But full of fun! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete