Check out my favorite bug girl and her new friend!

We went to visit the local reptile store, which had recently moved and was in new digs. It was a beautiful store with amazing creatures inside. Of course we don't know anything about reptiles and had no intention of coming home with anything, but it was nice to see what was out there. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were selling
Madagascar hissing cockroaches as feeder bugs (crickets and mealworms I knew about, but not the roaches). Of course I had to get ONE (not two! I don't want little roach babies everywhere!) for my girl. They told us they live 1-2 years but according to Wikipedia, it's up to 5 years. At least we won't have to check it into the kennel when we go away for a few days...!
Okay, here's a close-up of Marika with her (scrapper al - you may not want to look!).

Pretty cool, eh? She's a good-sized bug (I think it's a girl). The guy at the pet shop even made one hiss so the girls could hear it. Way cool!
We also bought a few crickets for Marika to rear... they'll only last a few weeks, but at least she'll learn more about the molting process and if we're really lucky, maybe we can get the crickets to lay some eggs that we can hatch out.
Ah... you just can't take the entomologist out of somebody! =)
This interest in bugs in really ummm, errr, leaving me speechless, lol. Actually, if you lived closer, I'd introduce my very young cousin to Marika. Her aunt told me that she's very interested in reptiles and bugs (ewwww!).
ReplyDelete