Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Preschooler

I never volunteered when Mika was in preschool, since I was afraid it would have been too difficult with a 2-year old Marika by my side. This year, however, I promised Marika I'd help out. Today was my first day to get a glimpse of "a day in the life of Marika at preschool".


It was fun to see her interacting with other children and the teacher. She was definitely more interactive and sociable than I had expected (which was great!) and seemed to listen quite well. I like her teacher and think she does a good job of trying to teach them things and maintaining classroom order (never an easy feat).

Today, it was my job to help the kids paint their handprints for their Christmas presents to the family. I was surprised at how sweet and quiet the preschoolers were - it was so easy to work with them! Helping out last year in Mika's kindergarten classroom was definitely much more work and sometimes quite stressful. Who knew one year could make such a big difference?

Sadly, I can't volunteer in Mika's classroom this year because I can't bring Marika with me. So, at least once a week we take a pile of materials from the teacher and help collate assignments. Marika, ever my sweet and faithful little helper (and sorely disappointed that we can't help out in her big sister's classroom), insists on being my automated stapling machine.

Daddy Dude had to work last weekend, so we kept things pretty mellow. Sunday was "game" day - I played soccer in the morning and was happy that the ref did not threaten to throw me out this time. In the game before ours, I heard that the ref (the same one who ruined my day last week) actually carded somebody who slid (like I had last week) two times and threw her out! I still can't believe it - I just can't. At any rate, we ended up forfeiting on a technicality and lost 1-0 to the team that will probably be the 1st place finishers (again).

In the afternoon, we went to Daddy Dude's game. The girls enjoyed the chance to parade around with their umbrellas (as their parasols). It was a very exciting game, but unfortunately, it was a painful loss - Daddy Dude's team had to relinquish their first place status back to the other team. *sigh*. Daddy Dude finished the season batting just under 0.300 but was on the leader board (top 10) for top RBI's within the league. Pretty cool, eh? He made three fantastic outs (with dramatic flair!) at third base - I was so proud!

Supplies: cardstock (Bazzill, DCWV), patterned paper (DCWV), diecuts (Quickutz)

I didn't get any "alone" time today (and won't on Thursday, either) but was able to finish a layout over the past few days. This is based on a Becky Higgins' sketch for 11 photos (I was glad to get so many photos on the page but not particularly happy that there wasn't much room to do anything else). We enjoy spending several of the major holidays throughout the year with our very good friends and July 4th was certainly no exception. Who knew I could find paper to match H.'s patriotic strawberries? =)

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the horse shoe games and how much fun it was. Next year you and I will beat those guys ( well maybe not grandpa) he he And I can't believe you did find paper to match those strawberries, they were a weird color combo.

    ReplyDelete