Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rise and Shine!

I'm taking the week off from running (to give my old joints a break), but the problem with biking (when you don't have a light) is that it has to be bright enough outside so you don't get run over by a car. The best part of biking, though, is to watch the sun rise...

The shot on the left was taken at about 6:10 am... the one on the right about 5 minutes later. I actually had to go home just before the official sunrise (said to be 6:42 am), but the most fantastic part really, is the early stages. The mountains are a gorgeous backdrop and seeing the pink and yellow colors streaking against the sky... breath-taking! How can anybody's morning start off badly after seeing this?

It was another day of volunteering today - Marika's school celebrated their "Fall Fling", where it was all about apples and pumpkins. I was at the "Apple Math" table, where kids made apples and drew apple seeds. The festival didn't end until 11 am or so, so I helped out in the classroom (it made no sense to drive home for 10 minutes, before having to drive back again). Once again, the preschoolers were very sweet and very cooperative while we worked on their paint projects. They're neater than kindergarteners and so much kinder to parent volunteers!

This list hanging in the classroom made me laugh. The teacher asked them for words that start with "C" or "D". You can see what it's on their adorable little minds...

And last but not least - Grandma's here! She's been traveling around (again) for the past month so the girls were pleasantly surprised and happy to see her. They even helped Grandma prepare a sashimi dinner and Grandma let them wash the dishes (I'll admit it, I was holding my breath the whole time, but nothing disastrous happened).

On the bad side... another local fire was brewing this morning (3 miles or so away) and Grandma said she saw something else brewing on the horizon when she arrived this afternoon. This area certainly has enough problems to deal with, without having to worry about fires (especially those set by arsonists). *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment