Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fun, fun and more fun!

We're still getting used to the "back-to-school"routine, but we wanted to treat the girls to something special, especially since Mika took her first spelling test and scored 100%. So... we took them to "Market Night" - somewhere we hadn't been in about a year! Marika loves riding the ponies but Mika opted for the slides this time...


Gotta love the Lightning McQueen slide!

And how could we resist buying them pink light sabers?! They thought they were the coolest toys ever! I had fun taking some action shots of them in the dark - pretty cool, right? Good thing they weren't selling blue light sabers, or we would have had to buy Daddy Dude one, too! =)

Last Saturday, we drove out to Orange County. I met with a former student of mine, whom I hadn't seen in over 4 years. She had been utilizing my insect collection (from graduate school) for her elementary classroom teaching - I was delighted somebody could get some use out of it! However, since Marika is showing such an avid interest in entomology, I had asked to borrow my bug boxes. It was fun to finally meet her daughter, who is only 2 months older than Marika.

Afterwards, we drove over to see Grandma and spend the rest of the day with her. Grandma had recently been to Japan and bought the girls new yukatas (summer kimonos), along with some gettas (matching shoes). Aren't those yutakas pretty?

My college friend, Michelle, also come to visit so we spent a leisurely afternoon on the beach. The girls immediately made some friends with some other kids and enjoyed trapsing about in their matching bikinis ("zoo-kinis", they call them).

Marika and Grandma like to fly kites - here's Marika flying her pirate skull head kite. Unfortunately, there's a limited variety when you buy kites at the Dollar Tree! When the girls become older and more responsible, I'll be willing to spend more money on them. More responsible, you say? Yup, for the second time, Marika LET GO of the kite again - but this time, I was lucky enough to run and catch it before it floated up the hill! Michelle wonders if the day will ever come when the kite will not escape while she is there. So far, she is 2 for 2!

Yeah, I kind of wonder, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment