Hello, hello! My October project for the Cropchocolate.com Design Team was posted on the CC blog today. You can read it here or you can continue scrolling down...
Halloween is
one of my favorite holidays, just because there is so much room to be creative!
For our October challenge, Amber made the task a little more difficult by
asking for it to be “candy-inspired”. After much debating, I decided to make a
Halloween paper cake.
Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a baker. Yes, I like to cook but no, I don’t like to bake. HOWEVER - I find cake decorating to be absolutely fascinating (I love that TV show, Ace of Cakes!). I’m also kind of a fitness fanatic so a calorie-free cake is perfect for somebody like me! Best of all, now I have a Halloween centerpiece that I can use year after year.
Trust me, this is much easier to make than a fondant cake… (been there, done that!)…
You will need…
CC-items
EP
Chillingsworth Manor 12x12 Collection Pack
Bazzill Just
the Edge Paper Strips – Halloween & Blanche (latter used as a template
only)
MM Toil
& Trouble Rosette Stickers
MM acrylic
paint (Acorn) – hot chocolate goody
Tim Holtz
Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint
Ultra-thin glue
dots
MM Spook
Alley Trim & Treats (ghosts & bling)
MM Spook
Alley Looking Glass stickers
MM Toil
& Trouble Brad Combo (skulls, witch hats, & bling spiders)
MM Toil
& Trouble Brad Value Pack (purple & yellow stars)
MM Toil
& Trouble trims (orange polka-dotted ribbon)
WRMK The
Cinch Wire Clipper tool
Non-CC-items
Multiple paper
mache boxes (graduated sizing)
Wilton
cookie sticks (6”length) – n = 4 (four 3” pieces plus four 2” pieces)
Tacky glue
Krazy Glue
Plastic
cauldron (bought or homemade)
20-gauge
craft wire (Darice)
Tissue paper
for flames
Battery-operated
light
Polyester
Fiberfill (batting) – Mountain Mist
Miscellaneous
Halloween decorations, charger, and glass tea light holders (purchased from Dollar
Tree)
Step 1 – Painting the Paper Mache Boxes
The first
thing you’ll need to decide is how big of a cake you want. Each cake layer will
be a paper mache box. I wanted at least 3 different tiers, but ultimately my
choice was limited by what the local craft stores had available. In fact, what
I found determined the cake architecture – I had to add stilts to the tiers,
even though that hadn’t been part of the original plans (but it turned out at
the end, you’ll see!).
Once you’ve gotten all of your paper mache boxes together, get the wax paper ready and paint the tops and bottoms of each box. I used some Making Memories acrylic paint (Acorn) that came in my last batch of hot chocolate. After two layers, I topped it off with some Tim Holtz Rock Candy distress crackle paint, to give it more of an aged look.
Step 2 – Decorating the Bottom Tier
To help make
each layer distinctive – and to hide the obvious lip separation – I added a
scalloped edge to the rim of the bottom and middle tier lid. I simply trimmed a
smaller strip of Echo Park’s Chillingsworth Manor paper and traced a Bazzill
“Just the Edges” border. Once the border was cut, it was glued to the lid.
Once the
scalloped edges had been added, I glued two Halloween-themed borders (Bazzill’s
“Just the Edge”) and topped it off with some rosette skull stickers from Making
Memories (another hot chocolate goody from long ago).
Step 3 – Decorating the Middle and Top
Tiers
The stilts
were simply Wilton cookie sticks. They’re made out of paper, so you can easily
cut them with scissors and sand them down with an emery board. Don’t forget to
paint the stilts! Depending on the size of boxes you use, you’ll have to decide
how tall to make those stilts. Since TM Crackle Paint is actually kind of
slippery, I had to use Krazy Glue to get the sticks to “stick”. I found it best
to allow the legs to dry in its final position (prop the tier up on its legs).
Step 4 – Decorating the tops of the
tiers with scalloped circles
To make the
top of each tier a little more attractive, I topped each one with a scalloped
circle. I found a free printable template here: http://www.picstopin.com/500/free-printable-round-scalloped-circle-for-scrapbooking/http:%7C%7C0*tqn*com%7Cd%7Cscrapbooking%7C1%7C0%7Cl%7C1%7C1%7Cscallopedcircle*jpg/
I traced the
circles onto another EP Chillingsworth Manor patterned paper and topped them
off with cut Halloween-themed brads (use the Cinch wire clipper to remove the
tabs and simply glue the brads on with the ultra-thin glue dots).
Step 5 – Making the Cake Topper
You can put
anything you’d like on top of the cake! However, it’s probably best not to make
it too heavy (if you do make something heavier, I would switch out the cookie
sticks to wooden dowels that are screwed to the paper mache boxes, for stronger
support). I made my own cauldron (hubby had an odd piece of plastic in the
garage that was the right shape) by drilling two holes on the side and twisting
some craft wire through it, for the handle. I also popped in a battery-operated
tea light, surrounded by some tissue paper (to simulate spooky flames). For the
final touches, I glued a chipboard-backed haunted house (Sizzix/Tim Holtz’s
Rickety House die) to one side of the cauldron and a couple of bling-eyed
ghosts (from MM Spooky Alley Trims & Treats) to the other. I did not opt to
glue the cauldron to the top tier, to make it easier to pack up for storage
later.
Step 6 – Further Decoration of Bottom
and Middle Tiers
I like my cakes fancy, so I added some ribbon trim (MM Toil & Trouble ribbon) around the bottom and MM Looking Glass stickers on the middle tier.
Step 7 – Adding cobwebs
Since every
Halloween cake should look old, I added some cobwebs (stretched batting) around
the legs of the stilts, securing it with dabs of tacky glue. These webs were
topped off with some bling spiders from the MM Toil & Trouble brad combo pack
(trim off the metal tabs again with the wire clippers).
Step 8 – Outdoor photos of cake
Step 9 – Close-ups of outdoor photos of
cake
Step 10 – Cake with All the Trimmings
You can opt to set your cake in a fancy display… and go all out by embellishing the cake base
with more Halloween trinkets (skeletons, rats, spiders, and scorpions all
purchased from Dollar Tree).
Step 11 – Secret
Candy Stash
And last but not least… remember that part about being
candy-inspired? Well, I can’t think of a better place to hide your special
candy stash, can you? Your guests might even comment on how your cake smells so
sweet!Happy Halloween, everybody! If you decide to make your own Halloween cake, I’d love to see pictures!








No comments:
Post a Comment