Monday, September 12, 2011

Busy as a bunch of bees... :)

My oh my... where does the time go? The girls have been heavily immersed in school, with homework and reading... and it's also time for soccer games to start!



For Mika's team, I agreed to make the team banner again. Since their uniform is mostly white with a little bit of blue and black, they decided to call themselves the "Polar Bears". It was challenging to come up with an interesting banner, but here it is... (I am most proud of the soccer ball, which was stitched together piece-by-piece and stuffed, so it *pops* off the banner!)...

As Marika's coach, I was really nervous about our first game, but the girls all played really hard! They ended up winning 2-0 in a very exciting game. Marika surprised us by continuing to be aggressive and attacking the other team's forwards as they came down the field. She even had a couple of long dribbles up the field! She is actually a better player than Mika, simply because she is aggressive and unafraid. Mika doesn't mind running around on the field (without direction), but once she gets the ball, she immediately freaks out and tries to kick it to somebody else. A ball hog, she is NOT! At least she's a very sweet soccer player... ;)


Despite Daddy Dude having to work all Labor Day weekend, we were able to steal out for the LA County Fair. For the first weekend, the entrance fee is only $1 per person (between 10 am - 1 pm). As a family, it could cost us up to $58 if we came on a regular weekend! We didn't make it there on time (traffic and it took so long to get into the parking lot) but we totally lucked out because - for whatever reason - they extended the $1 admission window until 2 pm. Whew! We saved a ton of money right there! The girls had a great time going on rides (only $1/ride after 4 pm!) and eating nachos. I like the Ferris Wheel ride the best, since the view is great! The special exhibit this year, by the way, was the "Shark Encounter". It wasn't a particularly impressive exhibit, but it WILL be the only time the girls are ever in a shark cage... I hope!



I don't really like to eat fairground food, because it is so greasy and fatty, so I was really excited to see the Calbi food truck there. Why this one? Daddy Dude likes to watch the Food Network and there is a program (or something) that discusses good food trucks. Well, apparently Calbi is pretty popular in southern California - but there are only 4 food trucks that frequent Orange County and Los Angeles County. None for us! So, this was our chance to see what all the hooplah was about! And yes, they were very tasty chicken tacos (with daikon leaves!)! Those $6.50 of two tacos lasted all of about 2 minutes, spread out between 4 people (a snack, if you will!)...

Next year, I'm making a bee-line for that Calbi food truck!



Other than that, the girls and I have been doing little outings during our free time. There are still raspberries to be picked at Riley's Farm, so we went during Labor Day weekend, as well. I just love being up at the farm... raised in the Midwest, being around all that greenery just makes my soul feel so peaceful and happy... :)


And the raspberries are delicious! At least this time, we weren't bitten repeatedly by nasty flies!



We also discovered that they had a zinnia patch - and we could pick the flowers for $0.25/stem! Woohoo! We should have brought some scissors, though...


But I was in hog heaven anyway, because there were several tiger swallowtail butterflies fluttering around. They were quite calm, so I was able to take several good shots - you can even see their proboscis extended to sip the nectar. I mean, c'mon - how cool is that?!



And then we zipped back down the hill to go to another Lowe's clinic. Here are the girls' latest artistic efforts...

And last but not least, this is the family reading a few days ago... isn't it weird? Not a single hard-copy book in sight! Don't worry, it's still a rare occasion, because children's books are pretty pricey and since the girls outgrow the younger ones so quickly, we just don't buy many at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment