Yes, we are still waiting for somebody to end up on the Bears - we can't wait to show up at the games in all of our Cal regalia.
I haven't been able to get any good pictures of Mika yet, but here's our little hotshot on third base, ready to shoot home. She's in coach-pitch this year (which is way more fun than teeball), which gives the kids a lot of time to focus on their fielding and more on concepts. Mika's not the BEST player, but she's among the best on the team - her fielding has really improved (she is making a great second-baseman, though occasionally she plays third or first) but her batting still needs some work (and yes, she is still crying when she gets out). Speaking of her fielding, though... she's made numerous plays by tagging players out, catching flyballs (you go, girl!) and actually managed to turn a double-play last Tuesday. She's also getting pretty good at sliding... :) I think her coach (and his gaggle of guys) has done a really good job of teaching them, so we're very pleased - Mika has been very lucky in getting decent coaches for all three years.
If you know me, you know I'm a tough-love kind of person, so when I say we see real potential in Mika as a softball player, you know I'm not bragging. I've already lined up a friend (who played college ball) to teach Mika how to pitch (not that we expect her to be a pitcher, but we want her to learn the right way of doing things - the first time) and if she continues shine next year, then we'll look into hiring a batting/fielding coach for her, as well as getting her onto a travel ball team. Mika really enjoys playing, enjoys practices, and totally seems in her element during a game. It's so fun to watch her play!
This year, Marika finally got to play (I wouldn't let her play last year, because it was co-ed with the boys). Her team is... a little discombobulated and not very cohesive, but the coaches are very nice and Marika loves playing. Is she good? Well... it's a little early to tell. She's a decent player, considering it's still her first year, and she's made a fair number of outs when she plays pitcher. She's not very fast, though, and can't throw the ball very far yet (but she throws it hard). Intellectually, though, she grasps the concepts and knows what to do - which is very helpful. She's becoming a decent hitter, too - so we'll see how she does next year.
One day, Daddy Dude had to step in and help out by joining the coaches on the field. Marika was so thrilled by this, because they got to wear the same uniform! I like the picture on the right, when he was coaching her at third base.
No comments:
Post a Comment