Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Beauty of Using Sketches

Last Friday, DaddyDude's colleague asked me if I'd be willing to make seven cards for their office staff and - oh, could I make them by the following Monday? I was looking forward to a reason to use up more paper (I had purchased a ton of Christmas paper before Cropcholate.com shut down) and knowing I could find some great card sketches on Pinterest, I said, "Sure!"

As most of you know, I'm a big fan of Unity Stamp Co. So, I used one of their most recent releases as the cornerstone of my cards... Everything Christmas. I searched and pinned from Pinterest and whipped out these cards Sunday afternoon. All of the patterned paper is from Echo Park's "Seasons Greetings" and the brads are from Making Memories.

I don't know about anybody else, but I had to practice A LOT before I could get the images where I wanted to within the frame. There were times when I was just about to put it where I wanted, and then my hand would jerk slightly. And it'd been hours since my last cup of coffee! Does anybody have any advice on perfecting the "stamping within" technique...?

Inspired by this pin...

Inspired by this pin... and I'm linking it up to Deconstructed Sketch 130. Love this site that I just found - check it out!
 Inspired by this pin...
Inspired by this pin...
 Inspired by this pin...
I don't scraplift a card so closely, but I really loved this card... (you should check out her blog!), that I almost made a carbon-copy (different papers and I had no bell/ribbon). This Echo Park sticker is PERFECT for holiday cards and well, so is their paper! Simple but sweet!

And finally, I decided to tackle one of this month's "Be Inspired" challenges at Unity...based on the card sketch... you can check out the details here! Washi tape is from Pick Your Plum. :)

A couple of days later, I went to clean up my craft room and can you guess what happened? I decided it was easier to make a couple more cards than to clean! Ha ha! So, here are my final two cards...

 
Based on this pin (one of my favorites, because it's a fantastic way to use scraps!)... you can find the Unity stamp here.
And here's another one for Deconstructed Sketch 130. LOVE this stamp from Unity Stamp Co!

In case you were wondering why I didn't craft Saturday night... the girls and I participated in the city's first annual 5K Glow Run.
DaddyDude has been having fun with the new camera  - it'll take me awhile, I still need to read the manual! It was a fun run, but man oh man was it DARK! We were near the head of the pack to run (most walked it), mainly because the city's Christmas Parade (re-scheduled from the previous week because it rained) was going on at the same time - and she wanted to join her summer All Star softball team on their float. What a commotion - I was texting her coach (while running) to find out where their float was (it took almost 45 minutes for their float to start rolling in front of the crowd, since they were #71). With each update, Marika would run faster (we let her set the pace), which upset her big sister (who had eaten a bunch of food before the run, not smart!), who was started to freak out on me. By the end of the race, DaddyDude took the final picture... two of us are very happy and one is crying. :( I was just glad I didn't fall down and hurt myself (a couple people did - darn potholes!).

Anyway, it was a fun weekend. It's finally Thursday evening (late) and I've finished writing all of my Christmas cards so they will go in the mail tomorrow. I feel very relieved. :)

Hope you all have a marvelous weekend! Thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

  1. Great cards! You've been very busy! I like the Deconstructed Sketch too :-)
    The picture turned out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL work with this set! The best stamp block I own is Fiskar's stamp press. It lets you "shimmy" right up to the last second. It is the only block I use when I need to line up within a die cut~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip! I'm going to need the extra help... :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, your set of holiday cards are very nice. Love those big sentiments on them too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have certainly been busy! Great cards and congratulations on your 5K!! Merry Christmas from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards made "under pressure" Miwa. The 5K looks like it was fun. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your last subway sign/chalkboard card! The slanted sentiment is the perfect touch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great group of cards. Love the chalkboard look. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Miwa! Great cards! Can you come over and make some for me?? I, too, have lots of paper from CC...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This group has me so motivated to get up and at it to finish my homemade christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, girl - you've been busy! Look at all those wonderful cards!! And seriously - your beautiful self and your beautiful daughters! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cards! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness what great cards. You really went to town. (-: Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miwa, I always enjoy my visits to your blog. I get such great peaks into your family fun! Great cards, great story, great RUN in the dark! Aren't distances totally different in the dark? No perspective at ALL. I once ran a 25k, with the first 20k being totally dark. It was bizarre. I couldn't even tell how big the hills were I was running up. And the road was gravel. Strange experience, but one I won't forget. Oh, have you tried a Stamp-a-ma-jig for stamp placement? It might help with your alignment problem. Merry Christmas, Miwa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Julie! I'm watching a youtube video on the stamp-a-ma-jig as I type... :) And yes, you're right about the distance perspective being lost - but for me, just trying not to fall into a pothole took up most of my concentration. :) Maybe next time I should run with a head lamp!

      Delete
  14. Miwa, you've been busy!! These are all so beautiful :)

    BTW, you and your gals look fab! Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great set of cards and I like how you used all the Christmas paper scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great cards love the last one especially and I miss crop chocolate too. Love the story of the run.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You have been busy! Great group of cards!

    ReplyDelete